GotCodeSnippets.NET Coming Soon!

8/30/2005 8:38:40 AM
A new web site, GotCodeSnippets.NET will be launching in the PDC timeframe. From the email I got...

What is it?
Well, have you ever used www.regexlib.com when you wanted to look up a pattern? If not, shame on you. If so, then you know how valuable that can be if you weren't a RegEx expert. GotCodeSnippets.NET hopes to be the same valuable resource. A place…no scratch that…THE place that Visual Studio developers can go to download code snippets to make their IDE more productive. From simple ones to fully implemented design patterns, anything is game.

Version 0 -- this is the site launch as it stands today. Michael is on .NET Rocks today (www.dotnetrocks.com) and promoted this site. Our goal up until PDC is to fill the repository with useful code snippets that people have leveraged. At PDC, we will have the v1 site launched…fully searchable, downloadable, you know--all that good internet mojo stuff. V2 will be an add-in within the IDE to search/download/install. Ideally we'd like the site to be a federated resource for the VS IDE "Community Search" function (Jas any help you can provide to make this possible is appreciated).

Tags:

Headlines

ScottGu On Building Re-Usable ASP.NET Pages/Controls

8/29/2005 11:03:11 AM
ScottGu posts on reusable controls and pages in ASP.NET. I got this link from Javier's post since he always seems to read the interesting stuff before I read it.

Tags:

Library

WinForm Testing

8/29/2005 10:53:39 AM
Since VS2005 ships without any WinForm testing tools, it may be beneficial for you WinForm devs to check out this MSDN WinForm Testing Article - just in case you missed it.

Tags:

Library

ScottGu's Overview of IIS w/ VS 2005

8/26/2005 2:30:30 PM
A good read on ScottGu's blog on VS 2005, IIS, and Web Project System. Check it out.

Tags:

Library

Book Review: .NET Gotchas

8/23/2005 2:55:50 PM
I just got done flipping through ".NET Gotchas" from O'Reilly. A good one to have on the shelf just to flip through and do a mental review to see if you are touching on an areas covered in the book in your application.

Tags:

Library

PDC is Full, But There is Still Time

8/22/2005 12:43:04 PM
It's true. The 2005 Professional Developer Conference is sold out (no link because its full!). But, there is still plenty of time to sign up for the 2005 Heartland Dev Con! This is the perfect conference for those that didnt get into the PDC or didnt want to shell out the big bucks. For a killer price, the HDC provides great content from local and national speakers to get you up to speed on current and future .NET technologies. Take advantage of this great local conference and help build your local developer community. Sign up now!

Tags:

Headlines

New Version of ILMerge Available

8/19/2005 10:28:13 AM
Microsoft has posted a new version of ILMerge for download. ILMerge allows you to combine multiple .NET Assemblies into a single file. Great way to simplify deployment or combine the work of multi-language teams into a single assembly.

Tags:

Headlines

Will the idea of a ".NET Developer" soon die?

8/18/2005 1:52:36 PM
I was in Redmond a couple weeks back for an internal training event for Microsoft technical folks in the field. Think lightweight TechEd and you have the general idea. Since I had been to TechEd already, I decided to sit in on sessions that I had either missed or normally would not have listed real high on my "must attend" list. Since I am normally a C# guy, I decided I would take this opportunity to sit in on some VB.NET sessions.

The language differences have been covered elsewhere, and I think that for the most part they do not signal a fundamental decision point between VB.NET and C# when making a choice of programming language. In some cases the language differences surely would, but for most applications, probably not, IMHO. However, I think we are starting to see the beginning of the end of such a situation. If you combine the language differences with differences in tools in the IDE or other non-language features, you start to see some clear cut decision points when choosing the lanaguage you use.

For example, VB has some nice IDE features and VB only infrastructure (the My feature, some app config properties, etc.) for WinForm development that are very useful and provide some clear advantages over C#. After sitting through one VB WinForm session, I seriously wondered if I would do another WinForm project in C# just because some things were much easier. I almost shed a tear for my lost semicolons.

Now if you combine this with some features that almost didn't make it into one language or the other (refactoring for VB and Edit-Continue for C#), you can see that the likelihood of continued divergence will only increase. And to me, this is a shame. While I was a C# guy, it was always nice to say to a VB developer, "you can do the same thing, just a bit different." We were all .NET brothers and sisters. Now though, I will have to look at someone and say, "if you use language X you can't really do this." That sucks.

I hear some of you saying that if you can do everything in every language, why do you need multiple languages. Some languages make solving certain problems easier. Lots of reasons for that that have been covered much better in other places than I could possibly do here. And again, I am not saying a few differences are bad. What I am saying is that the "competition" (and oh yes, there is competition, believe me) between the C# and VB teams to push the envelope leads to some poor decisions for the broader .NET community. Well, if C# is gonna refactor, we will edit-continue. If VB is gonna have the My thingy, we will add anoymous methods. And so it goes. Not exactly that way, but you get the idea.

In particular, since .NET is supposed to be about developer productivity, making one community more productive than another due to IDE features or other types of non-language enhancements seems lame. I don't see much of reason why the My object could not be available to both C# and VB developers, for example. Unfortunately, I expect (and I have no insider info, just my hunch) that we will see continued divergence between the capabilities of the two lanaguage/IDE combinations. We may well be back to the days when I have to say, "I'm sorry son, but you can't play with Bobby anymore because his dad is a VB developer." And if that comes to pass, I will be a very sad "C#" developer.

Tags:

Slick Thoughts

To Continue or Not Continue

8/16/2005 1:13:12 PM
Well, my domain name and hosting account are due to expire in about a week and change. I am debating on whether or not to continue. Hmmmmm... what to do, what to do. Feel free to provide input via the comments.

If someone blogs and no one reads it, is it really a blog?

Tags:

Slick Thoughts

Top 10 Dot Com Failures

8/7/2005 10:50:55 AM
News.com article that lists their Top 10 dot com failures. Poster childs of the dot com bust like that damn like Pets.Com sock puppet make a return visit.

Tags:

Junk

Powered by BlogEngine.NET 1.6.0.0
Theme by Mads Kristensen

About the author

Jeff Brand Jeff Brand

This is the personal web site of Jeff Brand, self-proclaimed .NET Sex Symbol and All-Around Good guy. Content from my presentations, blog, and links to other useful .NET information can all be found here.

E-mail me Send mail

Calendar

<<  April 2014  >>
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
31123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
2829301234
567891011

View posts in large calendar

My Twitter Updates